Churches under Christ Ministry
February 11, 2020
Pastors give many reasons for church incorporation and 501(c)(3) or 508(c)(1)(A) tax exempt status. So do “Christian” lawyers who make a lot of money helping those churches. This page links to resources which examine and prove wrong their rationale from both a Bible perspective as well as worldly, legal viewpoint.
1. The primary false reason for corporate 501c3 status or related types of organization, given by many pastors and believers, is that Romans 13 (or some other verses such as 1 Peter 2.13) requires them to do so. They will say, for example, “We believe in obeying civil government as required by Romans 13.” First, no law in America requires a church to organize as an established entity, an entity under man’s law. In fact, the religion clause of the First Amendment to the United States Constitution, the highest law of the land, mandates that churches can organize any way they wish, even as spiritual entities under Christ and Christ alone according to New Testament Church doctrine.
The Romans 13 and related arguments are thoroughly examined at: Render Unto God the Things that Are His: A Systematic Study of Romans 13 and Related Verses (Online version, downloadable PDF, Kindle)
3. A variety of false reasons are examined in Separation of Church and State/God’s Churches: Spiritual or Legal Entities? The reasons examined in that book are:
- Spurious rationale for church incorporation: limited liability/incorporation increases liability of church members
- Spurious rationale for church incorporation: to hold property
- Spurious rationale for church corporate-501(c)(3) or 508(c)(1)(A) status: tax exemption and tax deductions for contributions OR Tax reasons given for church corporate 501(c)(3) or 508(c)(1)(A) status: a biblical and legal analysis
- Spurious rationale for church corporate-501(c)(3) status: one’s convictions
- Spurious rationale for church corporate-501(c)(3) status: winning souls is more important than loving God/The Most Important Thing: Loving God and/or Winning Souls
4. Here are some resources which reveal the truth about false reasons given by “Christian” lawyers for church legal entity status:
- More lies of “Christian” law firms and lawyers concerning church organization and the common law trust as a means of establishing a church under Christ alone outside civil government law (021120). Some “Christian” lawyers and law firms are eager to explain to inquiring pastors why a church common law trust is not Bible way of organizing a church under Christ alone and the necessity of church legal status (church organization as a non-profit corporation, charitable trust status, business trust status, Internal Revenue Code Section 501(c)(3) or 508(c)(1)(A) status, etc.). This paper clearly proves to the open minded believer who will study it out that those firms and lawyers do not have any understanding on these matters.
- Click here to go to the answer to a question regarding a lawyer’s false statements concerning church corporate 501(c)(3) status on September 22, 2018